Sunday, February 6, 2011

Widening "football territories"?

There were two Barnes on television last night...cable TV that is. Peter and John, England football wingers of the late 70's and 80's, were joined by one Abbas Saad, a Lebanese born Australian who played for Singapore and Johor during the heydays of Malaysian Semi-pro football era of the early 90's. On a backdrop of Malaysian life? (Malaysian television to be more specific). Wow, to me, it has been a long way! Never would I imagined that one day, I would listen and watch Peter, John and Abbas, combining forces to convince Malaysian fans that the English Premier League is the one to watch.
As an English football fan from the late 70's, of course I enjoyed the lefty-skills of the two Barnseys (trying to copy the current lingo of Malaysian-EPL fans). Peter was on the left whilst one of my Man United heroes, Stevie Coppell was on the right flank of England under Mr Ron Greenwood. Happy dribbling John was considered the Brazilliant of the English First Division.
I knew Abbas when I was anxiously trying to become the true Malaysian football writer during the late 80's, and early 90's! Naturally, I felt close to the show! Not that I was really into the Chelsea-Liverpool match or the Torres situation that they were talking about. I felt close because they are really, really closing in to our shores of Malaysia. Amazing. It might be considered normal by some of you, but to me, it's another proof of how much the landscape and backdrop of sports, football in particular, has changed in Malaysia!

No comments:

Post a Comment